2008년 4월 2일 수요일

The one passage that frightened me---

This is Peter Wiggin speaking.

"Oh, I know. But there'll come a day when you aren't there with him, when you forget. And suddenly you'll remember, and you'll rush to him, and there he'll be, perfectly all right. And the next time you won't worry somuch, and you won't come so fast. And every time, he'll be all right. And you'll think that I forgot. Even though you'll remember that I said this, you'll think that I forgot. And years will pass. And then there'll be a terrible accident, and I'll find his body, and I'll cry and cry over him, and you'll remember this conversation, Vally, but you'll be ashamed of yourself for remembering, because you'll know that I changed, that it really was an accident, that it's cruel of you even to remember what I said in a childhood quarrel, Except that it'll be true. I'm gonna save this up, and he's gonna die, and you won't do a thing, not a thing. But you go on believing that I'm just the biggest."

I wouldn't be surprised if no one of Peter's age could have said such amount of speach without stopping to think what to say. However, for the wiggins are well beyond typical human boundaries, I'm not surprised by his english skills. what I am taken aback for is what he said. All he said is really frightening. How he said he will kill his brother and cover it as a accident is scary enough, but Peter says that Valentine will remember this conversation, this plan to kill Ender, but that Valentine will be ashamed that she remembers, for she will think by how Peter acts from this day on that he is a different person. Why does Peter hate Ender so much, that he is willing to stage every minute of his life to kill his own brother? Well, sure, the younger third had proven more useful to the adults, and they think Ender is better. But is that enough motive for Peter to do the things he plans to do? Surely he is sincere, or maybe is he just joking? Joking or not, all this is also horridly mean toward Valentine. Valentine loves Ender so much, that if he dies because of her, she won't be able to endure it. She even loves Peter, and even if this is a joke she will be bothered by this for a long period of time. What really frightens me is that Peter said all this is a joke, and that he loves Ender as a brother after he said this. But how could Ender or Valentine believe it? How can they be sure that this isn't the beginning of Peter's acting? How can they know that he just started to take what he said into action? I am sure that some part of them actually wants to believe that Peter just loves Ender, but they won't be able to. That's why it will hurt Valentine. She won't be able to love Peter as much as she wants to and she will be hurt by that. Also for Ender, now he and his brother won't be able to love each other, as Ender wants.

댓글 1개:

Andrew Kang :

I agree with you that this passage was the -freakiest- passage in the whole book. The fact that Peter knew all the things in the future and knows what valentine will do, and actually calculating everything he does, and even telling valentine all his calculation puts me into another mystery. Because if he tells valentine all his plan to kill ender, valentine will always be sure to keep ender safe. I think the goal peter wants to keep here is to make valentine keep ender out of peter's sight and be with him so they won't be in peter's way.